Additional Information of Arequipa
The department of Arequipa presents a varied. It starts in the coastal desert and rises in the Andes, reaching great height on the tops of their snow-capped mountains and volcanoes.
Known as the White City for its beautiful white walls of sillar, a volcanic stone, Arequipa lies in the skirts of the volcanoes Misti and Chachani and Pichu Pichu of the snow. In the center of the city, declared Cultural Patrimony of Humanity by UNESCO in the year 2000, may be temples and colonial baroque style, as well as the Monastery of Santa Catalina, a Spanish city in miniature with stone streets, beautiful patios and squares. Sabandia, Tiabaya, and Tingo, in the countryside, are places to visit, and the irresistible Arequipa cuisine is the perfect complement to the visit.
Located only 3 hours and 45 minutes from the city, the Valley and the Colca Canyon is one of the most extraordinary destinations in the country. Throughout the area you can see colorful pre-Inca stepped terraces cultivated until today with quinoa, corn, barley and wheat. In pre-Hispanic times the department was inhabited by the Collaguas and the Cabanas; today, the inhabitants have managed to preserve its colonial churches in Yanque, Lari, and Madrigal and continue wearing beautiful outfits. In the valley in addition, practice adventure sports such as mountain biking, trekking and canoeing, and the Cruz del Condor you can appreciate the majestic flight of the condors. Other places of interest in the department are the Toro Muerto petroglyphs, the valley of the volcanoes of Andagua and the Cotahuasi Canyon.
- Capital: 2335 meters above sea level (Arequipa)
- Minimum: 9 meters above sea level (Punta de Bombón)
- Maximum: 4 910 meters above sea level (Mirador of the volcanoes – Caylloma)
- The city of Arequipa is semi-arid climate and temperate, with an average maximum temperature of 21.7°C (71.0°F) and a minimum of 6.9°C (44.4°F). The rainy season starts in January and ends in March.
Vías de Acceso
- Land: Lima-Arequipa: 1003 km by the Pan-American Highway South (14 hours by car).
- By air: daily flights from Lima (1 hour), Cusco (30 minutes), Juliaca (30 minutes), and Tacna (30 minutes), to the city of Arequipa.
Distancias desde la ciudad de Arequipa
- Camana (Camana province) 173 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Caraveli (Caraveli province) 382 km / 7 hours.
- Aplao (province of Castile) 178 km / 3 hours.
- Chivay (Caylloma province) 162 km / 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- Chuquibamba (province of Condesuyos) 234 km / 5 hours.
- Mollendo (Province of Islay) 113 km / 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Cotahuasi (province of La Union) 379 km / 12 hours.
- Alfredo Rodriguez Ballon Airport. Av. Aviation s/n, Joseamore192, Cerro Colorado. Tel: (054) 44-3464, 44-3458 (054). Attention of L-D 6:00-21:00.
- Bus Station. Avenida Arturo Ibanez s/n, James D. Hunter. Tel: (054) 34-8810.
- Bus Terminal. Intersection of Avenida Andrés Avelino Cáceres with corner of Arturo Ibanez s/n, James D. Hunter. Tel: (054) 42-7798.
- Regional Hospital Honorio Delgado Espinoza. Daniel Alcides Carrion Avenue s/n, La Pampilla José Luis Bustamante y Rivero, Arequipa. Tel: (054) 21-9702 / 23-3812 23-1818 /. Attention: 24 hours.
- Goyeneche Hospital: Goyeneche s/n, Fencing, Arequipa. Tel: (054) 23-1313 / 22-3501. Attention: 24 hours.
- Head of Citizen Security: Roman 315 Fifth Street, Fencing, Arequipa. Tel: (054) 28-4354.
- XI Region of the National Police of Peru: Av. Emmel 106, Yanahuara. Tel: (054) 25-4020.
- Tourist Police: 315 Jerusalem Street, fencing. Tel: (054) 20-1258.
Markets of Crafts
- Fundo El Fierro – FEDARA. 415 San Francisco, fenced in.
- Front of artisans. 236 Merchants, fenced in. Tel: (054) 21-2729. Hours of operation: L-J 9:00-13:30 and 15:00-20:30; V-S 9:00-21:00.
- Courtyard of the Ekeko. C.C. of handicrafts. 141 Merchants Street. Tel: (054) 21-5861. Fax: (054) 23-3575.
- Serpost. Moral Street 118, Cercado. Tel: (054) 21-5247 / 21-5245. Attention: LS 8:00-20:00; D 9:00-13:00.
- Alfredo Rodriguez Ballon Airport, Aviation s/n. Cerro Colorado. Tel: (054) 44-39-67. Attention of L-V, 6:15 – 10:30 and 12:30 – 16:30, S 6:15 – 12:00.
Tourist Institutions and Links
- IPeru, tourist information and assistance
- The Regional Government of Arequipa www.regionarequipa.gob.pe
- Association of Hotels, Restaurants and related of Arequipa
- Now Arequipa Www.arequipa-tourism.com