Additional Information of Cusco
The city of Cusco, the ancient capital of the Inca Empire, it was declared Cultural Patrimony of Humanity by UNESCO in 1983 and is without doubt one of the most important destinations in the country. Among its cobbled streets are discovered buildings of Inca construction, as the Koricancha and the palace of Inca Roca, along with colonial constructions of Andean baroque style, such as the Cathedral and the church of the Company; in addition you can visit the picturesque neighborhood of San Blas, where are the workshops of the best craftsmen of the department.
This magical city also has an exciting nightlife with cafes, restaurants and bars to suit all tastes. Just ten minutes away from the city rise the gigantic walls of the fortress of Sacsayhuaman. A few kilometers further away, are the archaeological sites of Qenqo, Pukapukara and Tambomachay, Inca constructions built entirely in stone.
Along the Sacred Valley of the Incas, one hour from Cusco, extend the towns of Pisac, Maras, Chinchero and Ollantaytambo, from where it is possible to take the train to Machu Picchu. Another way to get to the citadel is by following one of the paths of the Inca Trail, a spectacular network of paths that wind between mountains, rivers and landscapes.
This is one of the best trekking routes in the world, because through it, are dotted with impressive archeological sites and areas rich in unique species of flora and fauna. The enigmatic complex of Machu Picchu, the most important and beautiful legacy of the ancient Peruvian, is part of the Historic Sanctuary of the same name, which is one of the few places of America, declared a Cultural and Natural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO, considered as one of the wonders of the world. Considered as a unique place in the world.
- Capital: 3,399 meters above sea level (Cusco)
- Altitude: Minimum: 532 meters (Pilcopata)
- Maximum: 4,801 m (Suyckutambo)
- The city of Cusco has a semi-dry and cold climate. The average annual temperature is 19.6°C (67.3ºF) and the minimum of 4.2°C (39.6ºF).
- The rainy season starts in November and ends in March, when the mountains are covered in green. Between June and July are common “Frost” (cold) in which occasional snowfalls have been reported.
- Land: Lima – Arequipa – Cusco: 1 650 km (26 hours by car); Lima – Nasca – Arendal – Abancay – Cusco: 1 131 km (20 hours by car); Puno – Cusco: 389 km (7 hours by car)
- By Air: Regular flights from Lima (1 hour) and from Arequipa (30 minutes) to the city of Cusco.
- Rail: Regular Service: Puno – Cusco: 384 km (10 hours).
Distances from the City of Cusco
- Acomayo (Prov. Acomayo) 104.5 km / 3 hours.
- Anta (Prov. Anta) 26 km / 30 minutes.
- Calca (Prov.) 50 km / 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Yanaoca (Prov.) 165 km / 3 hours.
- Sicuani (province of Canchis) 138 km / 2 hours.
- Santo Tomás (Prov. Chumbivilcas) 240 km / 10 hours.
- Yauri (Prov. Espinar) 241 km / 7 hours.
- Quillabamba (Province of the Convention) 210 km / 6 hours.
- Paruro (Province of Paruro) 64 km / 2 hours.
- Paucartambo (Province of Paucartambo) 109 km / 3 hours.
- Urcos (province of Quispicanchi) 46 km / 40 minutes.
- Urubamba (Urubamba province) 78 km / 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Aeropuerto Internacional Alejandro Velasco Astete, Cusco. Av. Velasco Astete s/n. Tel: (084) 22-2611.
- Bus Terminal: Vallejos Santoni cdra. 2, Santiago, Cusco. Tel: (084) 22-4471.
- Whereabouts of buses to Urubamba (Via Pisaq): Puputi street s/n cdra. 2, Cusco.
- Whereabouts of buses to Urubamba (Via Chinchero): Av. grau s/n cdra. 1, Cusco.
Transport By Train
- Wanchaq station to Puno: Av. Pachacútec s/n, Cusco. Tel: (084) 23-8722 / 22-1992.
- San Pedro train station to Machu Picchu: Street Ccascaparo s/n, Cusco.
- Regional Hospital: Av. de la Culture s/n, Cusco. Tel: (084) 22-3691.
- Hospital Antonio: Lorraine. Plazoleta Bethlehem 1358, Cusco. Tel: (084) 22-6511.
- Tourist Police: 510 Shapy Street, Cusco. Tel: (084) 24-9654.
Markets of Crafts
- Crafts Market: Corner Av Tullumayo / Av Pachacutec, Cusco.
- Craft Fair of San Blas: Neighborhood of San Blas. Attention: S 9:00-18:00.
- Popular market of Pisaq: District of Pisaq. Attention: D, Ma, J 8:00-18:00.
- Fair of Chincheros: District of Chincheros. Attention: D, Ma, J 8:00-18:00.
- Avenida El Sol 800, Cusco. Tel: (084) 22-4212 / 24-8352. Attention: L-S 7:30-19:30; 07:30-14:00.
Tourist Institutions and Links
- The Regional Government Of Cusco www.regioncusco.gob.pe
- IPeru, tourist information and assistance
- Velasco Astete airport in Cusco (Main Hall) Tel/fax: (084) 23-7364. Attention: L-D 6:00-16:00 hours. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plaza de Armas of Cusco. Avenida Sol 103, Ofic. Tourist Galleries (102) Tel: (084) 23-4498 / Tel/fax: (084) 25-2974. Attention: L-D 8:30-19:30 hours. E-mail: email@example.com
- Machu Picchu. 1 Block Pachacutec Avenue s/n, office 4 (the building of the National Institute of Culture) Tel/fax: (084) 21-1104. Attention: L-D 9:00-20:00 hours. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org