Additional Information of Puno
Puno was headquarters of the Tiahuanaco culture (800 to 1200 A.D.), the maximum expression of the Aymara people, between what is now Peru and Bolivia; the Incas were imposed in the territory in the 15th century and the Spanish left an important Colonial legacy throughout the area, attracted by the mining activity that was developed in the place.
Today, the city of Puno (3827 m.s.n.m.) is the capital of the Peruvian folklore and the Fiesta of the Virgen de la Candelaria and rests on the shores of Titicaca Lake, the highest navigable lake in the world. The surroundings are spectacular highlighting the Chullpas of Sillustani, with its imposing funerary towers built by the Kolla; Juli, famous for its beautiful colonial temples; Lampa, with its colonial church built between 1675 and 1685; Llachon, a community that still preserves ancient customs and cultural manifestations and Pucará, famous for its ceramics preinca and by the ‘toritos de Pucará’ that today the artisans with clay.
The lake also hosts several islands, whose inhabitants have preserved their ancestral customs and traditions. An example of this are the Uros, who live in ‘floating islands’ artificially made with totora reeds, and they navigate in their traditional boats also of totora reeds. Taquile, Suasi, and Amantaní are knows for their kindness of their residents, their ancestral skill in weaving, their pre-Columbian constructions, and lovely countryside. The Titicaca National Reserve (36,180 ha) protects extensive cattails and various species of flora and fauna.
- Capital: 3827 meters above sea level (Puno).
- Minimum: 820 meters above sea level (Lanlacuni Under).
- Maximum: 4725 meters above sea level (1871).
- The city of Puno rests on the shores of Lake Titicaca and climate is cold and dry. The rainy season starts in October and ends in April. The average annual temperature is 14°C (58ºF) and the minimum 3°C (37ºF).
- Land: Lima-Arequipa-Juliaca-Puno: 1324 km (18 hours by car).
- By Air: Regular flights to Juliaca from Lima (1 hour 45 minutes, with a stopover in Arequipa) and from Arequipa (25 minutes).
- Rail: Cusco – Puno: 384 km (10 hours).
Distances from the City of Puno.
- Juli (Prov. Chucuito) 79 km / 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Ilave (Prov. of the Collao) 54 km / 1 hour.
- Huancané (Prov. Huancané) 99 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Lampa (Prov. Lampa 80 km / 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Ayaviri (Prov. Melgar) 137 km / 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Moho (Prov. Moho) 138 km / 3 hours.
- Putina (Prov. San Antonio de Putina) 124 km / 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Juliaca (Prov. San Román) 44 km / 45 minutes.
- Sandia (Prov. Sandia) 272 km / 9 hours.
- Yunguyo (Prov. Yunguyo) 128 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Azángaro (Province of Azangaro) 148 km / 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Macuzani (Prov. Carabaya) 255 km / 7 hours.
- Inca Manco Capac International Airport. Av. Aviation s/n Urb.Santa Adriana, Juliaca. Tel. (051) 32-8974 / 32-2905. Attention: M-F 8:30-16:30 S 8:00-13:00.
- Bus Terminal. Jr. First of May 703, Magisterial District, Puno. Tel. (051) 36-4733. Attention: L-S 8:00 -16:00.
- Zonal Terminal. Simon Bolivar Avenue s/n, Puno. Attention: L-D 4:00- 21:00.
- Peru Rail Corp. 224 Tower Av., Puno. Tel. (051) 35-1041 / 36-9179. Plaza Bolognesi 303, Juliaca. Tel. (051) 32-1036. Attention: M-F 7:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00; S-D 7:00-11:00.
- Puno. National Manuel Nunez Butron Hospital. Avenida El Sol 1022. Tel. (051) 36-9696 / 35-1021 / 36-7777. Attention: M-F 7:30-14:30.
- In Juliaca. San Román (Juliaca). Hospital Carlos Monge Medrano. Road 2 km Huancané, Juliaca. Tel. (051) 32-1750 / 32-1131 / 32-1370. Attention: M-F 7:30-13:30.
- Puno. Police Region XII, Jr. Deustua 530. Tel. (051) 35-3988. Attention: 24 hours.
- Puno Tourist Police Jr. Deustua N° 558, Tel. 051-354764
- San Román (Juliaca). Peru’s National Police Commissioner, Juliaca. Jr. San Martin and Jr. Ramon s/n. Tel. (051) 32-2091.
Arts and Crafts markets Puno
- Association San José, Victor Haya de la Torre, Port and The CHOLITA. Hours of operation: L-D 09:00 to 18:00
- Crafts Center “Tucuy Atipac”. Psje. Lima 339, 2nd level. Attention L-D 8:00-19:00.
- Coriwasi Handicraft Market “Association”. Alfonso Ugarte street 150. Attention: L-D 8:00 – 21:00.
- San Román: Artisan Center Original Folk Art. Inca Manco Capac International Airport, Juliaca. Tel. (051) 32-2905.
- Puno. Jr. Moquegua 269. Tel. (051) 35-1141. Attention: L-S 8:00-20:00.
- Juliaca-San Roman. Intersection streets watermelon and Ladislao Butrón s/n. Tel. (051) 32-1391. Attention: L-S 8:15 -19:00.
Tourist Institutions and Links
- The Regional Government of Puno www.regionpuno.gob.pe
- IPeru, tourist information and assistance
- Plaza de Armas. Corner Jr. Deustua with Jr. Lima. Tel / fax. (051) 36-5088.
- Attention: L-D 8:30 – 19:30. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org